Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

All the Truth That's In Me by Julie Berry

4.5 stars
The voice of Judith captured from the moment I started this book. She was everything you want in a protagonist along with her own mysteries and secrets. The imagery with which Julie Berry writes is poetic and evocative. I felt like I could drown in her words and die a happy woman. Never once did Judith's voice falter. The beauty that she spoke with was a stark contrast to her silence in the physical world.

The plot was simple and straight forward, but it is not the plot that you should read this book for. This is a character driven book, and the characters will melt your heart and delight you. It is a hard story to read about Judith's struggle. The hardest part for me was her mother's reaction to her after she comes back unable to speak. As a mother, that part broke my heart.

I loved that the time frame and location of the story were somewhat of a mystery. It was almost reading a fairy tale with the charm and atmosphere all its own.

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for characters to fall in love with. It is not easy reading because the author slides back and forth between times and subjects. But that is part of its charm. Once you pick up on the rhythm, it becomes poetic and beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment