Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Edge of Normal by Carla Norton

4.5 stars
I appreciated this book so much more than recent forays into grown-up suspense (think Gone Girl). There were plenty of adult themes, but they weren't peppered with obscenities. In other novels, I feel that using the f-bomb every other word is extremely distracting, and while this book did use language, it did so in a seemingly natural way rather than a jarring one. Aside from that, this book was extremely well done. It had me on the edge of my seat biting my nails and flipping the pages as fast as I could on my Kindle.

The omniscient narrator worked well since we get a chance to see the bad guy up close and personal. I think Carla Norton had a good handle on what it must be like inside a twisted and sadistic person's mind. But she also nailed the mind of the victim or rather survivor. I think Reeve would prefer to be called a survivor.

I liked Reeve a lot. There were some things that were started like her ritual in getting to the doctor's office that seemed to magically disappear when she began talking to Tilly. I would have liked to see her deal with her issues while reaching out to the family. She was tough without being bitter, and that is a hard balance to write a character who has been affected but not warped by her mistreatment.

This book deals with serious and disturbing issues so if things like sexual abuse of children bother you, you might want to skip this one. But everything was handled well and really shines a light on missing girls and their experiences. I can't wait to see what the author has in store for her next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment