Search This Blog

Friday, October 18, 2013

Chasing Shadows by Swati Avasthi

4.5 stars
What a great book on all levels!  The writing was excellent, and the merging between text and illustrations was seamless and intriguing.  The story had great characters, great plotting and great sentences. My copy was a digital ARC and some of the words in the comic section were unreadable, but I imagine editing will fix that for actual copies sold.  The violence is real and brutal. Avasthi rips the band-aid off quickly, but the pain of watching a family break apart is still there.  The trauma stays with you long after the last page is flipped.  I think this is an important book to examine and discuss the grief process. Letting someone go is never easy, and this is such an honest appraisal that I think it would be a beneficial read.  I am very excited to learn that the library has the author's other book as I will definitely be reading it.

There is a great deal of violence and some profanity including the f word.

No comments:

Post a Comment