Search This Blog

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Crown of Midnight by Sarah Maas

This book surpassed the first one by a country mile. I like that Sarah Maas is not afraid to let her characters be a confused gray rather than everything being black and white. Cealena is one tough woman ready to do what needs to be done. Some could say she was cold and calculating, but I prefer to think of it as acting logical. If she were a male character, people would say that she is strong and good leadership material. I fear though that since she is female, people will see her as heartless and cruel. Maas does a great job of allowing her character to be ruthless and likeable at the same time.

Be forewarned - this was a very violent book, and a good portion of that violence is committed by the protagonist. I feel that the strength of the novel lies within its no holds barred approach to the violence. It is not a pretty world that Cealena lives in. There will be times when the only recourse is violent action. Cealena's directive is first to survive, and as such she needs to stay alive by any means possible. I did not mind the violence, rather found it a welcome relief to the sort of girls who let the villain live in a moment of compassion, and then a few chapters later have to deal with the same villain again. Cealena is tough. She is hard. She is ruthless. But those only make me love her more.

I am very much looking forward to the next book, and the series is strong enough to warrant buying it on its release day. Actually, I don't think I have a choice since my daughter will make sure that I pre-order it.

No comments:

Post a Comment