Search This Blog

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer by Katie Alender

So far I have some serious issues with this book. It pits woman against woman in a competition for men that is cut throat and vicious. When will women learn to stand together if the books they read perpetuate the ideology that women are competitors? In addition, I think this book is giving girls a wrong image of weight and thinness. Pillar is the token "fat girl" but really she is described as being a size 10 which is the average size of women in the United States. Also, check out this passage... "Was it Giancarlo's fault that Monique had gained fifteen pounds, while Rochelle had stayed thin and beautiful?" There are so many things wrong with that statement. First, in what world does 15 pounds automatically make you ugly? The implication is that since Monique is no longer suitable material for men because she gained a little weight, nor is she beautiful any longer. Second, what kind of man dumps his girlfriend because she gained a little weight? Not the kind I would want.

I will continue with the book, but I don't foresee a change in my attitude toward this book. I am not even sure that I want to know what happens. Maybe Marie Antoinette is coming back from the grave to destroy her competition. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

****************
I finished, and I have to give it three stars because the protagonist grows in the end. I still think this book could give girls the wrong impression. All of the pretty girls (who were murdered) are mean and conceited. The "nice" girls had no fashion sense, wore frumpy clothes and basically were unattractive. The idea of Marie Antoinette coming back from the grave to kill people is a really cool idea, but I felt the book was trying to make a statement about choosing your friends carefully more than trying to be a thriller. I didn't completely hate this book, but I wasn't mesmerized by it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment