Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Graduation Day by Joelle Charbonneau

Like so many other trilogies, this last book just seemed like more of the first two books. This was Cia going around not knowing who to trust, solving dilemmas. I wanted more, and the "big" twist at the end was not so big. Everything was wrapped up nicely, and there weren't any glaring omissions. I actually began to not like Cia in this one. She was too moralistic. If it comes down to killing someone in order to stop great evil, I'm not sure I would wrestle with the decision the way Cia does. A bullet in Hitler's head could have saved millions of lives. Now living with the guilt of doing something like that, I can see someone like Cia struggling with that. I never really bought that Cia was a leader either. She was smarter than everyone else, but really all she showed was ingenuity and an instinct about people. She never demonstrated power or how she would wield it if it was given to her.

Like the first two books, this one was action packed. There is no lag time in the middle the way some books tend to be. It was a very fast read, and satisfying. The end comes and you know it is an end. There is no lingering doubt that there will be a fourth book. (view spoiler)

I think the takeaway from this series is a serious consideration of how valuable life is. Cia places high value on everyone's life even the mutants in book one. She stays true to her morals and doesn't allow anyone to compromise them. Some say that this is her weakness, but Cia proves that it can be a strength. I admire that she stuck with her convictions and wish to be half as strong as she was had I been placed in similar circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment