Search This Blog

Sunday, September 7, 2014

The Caller by Juliet Marillier


The Caller (Shadowfell, #3)

Blurb from Goodreads:
Neryn has made a long journey to perfect her skills as a Caller. She has learned the wisdom of water and of earth; she has journeyed to the remote isles of the west and the forbidding mountains of the north. Now, Neryn must travel in Alban's freezing winter to seek the mysterious White Lady, Guardian of Air. For only when Neryn has been trained by all four Guardians will she be ready to play her role in toppling the tyrannical King Keldec.

But the White Lady is not what she seems. Trapped with Whisper, her fey protector, Neryn is unable to send word to her beloved Flint, who is in danger of being exposed as a double agent. When a new threat looms and the rebellion is in jeopardy, Neryn must enter Keldec's court, where one false move could see her culled. She must stand up against forces more powerful than any she has confronted before, and face losses that could break her heart.

The Caller is the thrilling conclusion to the Shadowfell trilogy.


5 stars
Bravo, bravo! This has been excellent from start to finish. I am so sad that it is finished. I now want to go and re-read some Juliet Marillier favorites - Daughter of the Forest and Heart's Blood. Alas, I have fallen behind in my review books while reading this trilogy so I cannot. I know I have remarked before on Marillier's ability to create such a complex and intricate world. When I finished the last page, I was absolutely convinced that callers existed, and a secret part of me was hoping I could become one. She weaves a spell that enthralls just as much as the Enforcers did. She has such a gift with words being able to evoke powerful emotions with a few letters on a page. And that is true magic.

I'm not going to tell even one detail about the book. I do not want to rob anyone of the true pleasure it is reading this series. Suffice it to say I think this book had it all - plotting, characterization and beautiful language. If you are a fan of Marillier's already, then you know what amazing books she can write. If you have not read anything by her, I urge you to pick one of her books up. I guarantee it will not be your last.

Content:  There is no objectionable material. It is alluded that two characters have sex, but it is off page. No language either.

No comments:

Post a Comment