Search This Blog

Monday, July 1, 2013

Doon by Carey Corp and Lorie Langdon

Ever since I have heard about this book, I have been dying to read it. A book based on one of the best musicals ever? Count me in. The kingdom of Doon was magical and enchanting just like the musical. In a world of dystopian novels, it was a welcome relief to read of a utopia. Of course, that didn't stop it from being in danger by an evil witch. I devoured this book. I even read it while I was waiting for my sister's wedding to start. It would have been 5 stars, but for one thing. One of my biggest pet peeves is a constant referrals to how hot/cute/sexy/handsome (insert adjective here) the main guy is. If you mention it once or twice that is one thing, but a constant barrage of reminders just drives me crazy. 

The story was told through first person POVs from the two girls who enter Doon. I thought it was really important that both girls have a voice, and there were plot points where it was necessary for both girls to speak. However, I feel that both of the voices were very similar. I would sometimes forget who was speaking since they were both the same voice. I did love all the references to plays and musicals that MacKenna would use when she was talking. It really reinforced her dream to become an actress.

While this book is based on a fantastical world, it is primarily a romance. The focus of the book is on the relationships and falling in love. The insta-love is there as well, but it is at least explained, and since I was at a wedding, I kinda didn't mind all the gushy stuff.

There were some moments of kissing heading toward sex, but they were stopped for some reason or another.  There was no bad language and mild violence.

This book was an enjoyable read and one that I would recommend to those who like fantasy with a healthy dose of romance. I am also looking forward to the sequel!  Doon releases on August 20, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment