Search This Blog

Friday, July 12, 2013

The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd

This book is atmospheric and concerned with the darker side of humanity. It made me go back to the original The Island of Dr. Moreau which was itself spooky and mysterious. What constitutes a monster? Is it the creation or the creator? Shepherd does a good job of tackling these questions.

My husband used to laugh at me because I would feel sympathy for a dead bunny on the road, but not for a dead possum. My defense was that bunnies are cute and possums are not. I really feel like Juliet makes these distinctions as well. She is ready to save Alice who is cute, but not willing to save Balthazer because he is not. There were both creations so there is no argument that both were in her eyes abominations. (view spoiler)

This was a great read if you suspended disbelief at the door. If you try to logically piece things together, everything falls apart. But the same could be said of the original novel as well. Fortunately, I am one of those people who can read a novel and just take the facts as they are presented so I found this to be an enjoyable read.

I re-read Dr. Moreau while I was reading this so most of my comments will be in that review. I will say that Shepherd does a great job of asking the important questions. It will make you think and wrestle with complicated questions that are still relevant today. It is the age old question asked often of science - just because we can do something, does that mean we should? Dr. Moreau pursues science without thought to the consequences.  The Madman's Daughter opens up that discussion and would make a great book for a book club.

No comments:

Post a Comment