Search This Blog

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Something Real by Heather Demetrios

This book will make you think before tuning into your favorite guilty pleasure especially if it is a "reality" show with children. Chloe was a great character, and I thought her struggle was portrayed in a very realistic fashion. I don't typically read realistic YA, but I was very intrigued when I read the premise. The story moved along at a great pace and was chock full of great characters. It was hard not to want to reach through my computer and ring the mom's neck - and the dad's - and the step-dad's - oh, and especially Chuck's. Our children are our most precious resource, yet they bear the brunt of all of our mistakes. Someone needs to advocate for the children who are being abused and neglected. A real life advocate for Chloe (I refuse to call her Bonnie) would have made her life completely different. I loved the whole discussion about 1984 and how our society has essentially become a nation on film. I felt it could have done with less language. I understood why some of the language was important like in the Thanksgiving scene. Altogether a good book and a great read!

No comments:

Post a Comment