Search This Blog

Thursday, January 30, 2014

When We Wake by Karen Healy

What an amazing voice Tegan has. I loved her from the first page right up until the last. It was very distinctive and spunky. It was a delight to read her story. I also loved that it was set in Australia. I have never been there, but my husband has, and I am very jealous.

The themes were many and complex in Tegan's story. What exactly constitutes life and who has the right to it? It is debated quite a bit whether Tegan deserves life after being revived. She has definite feelings on the subject, and it was hard to argue with her. Also raising the question of immigration. I know it was set in Australia, but it really resonates with me as a United States citizen. We look down on immigrants which is actually funny since the majority of us had ancestors who experienced the same prejudice when they immigrated. I don't understand how we lose the fact that they are living breathing people just like the people in Tegan's story. Immigrants are treated as a third class citizen.

This was a powerful book. It makes you think about deeper matters than your average dystopian book does. It makes you feel for those who were not born to a position of privilege. It makes an impact when you hear Tegan's words and hear her story.

No comments:

Post a Comment