Search This Blog

Monday, May 19, 2014

The Glass Casket by McCormick Templeman

4/5 stars
What an exciting, thrilling read! It kept me on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happened next. The beginning was a flurry of confusion as I was introduced to not only the world and its rules, but also nearly every village resident. I finally decided to plow through, and I'm glad that I did because the town elders and their titles weren't really important. The writing was vivid and brought to mind images of a beautiful frozen landscape.

The village folks were written so well they could have stepped into the pages from any small community. There are always those in the bunch who are revered, those who are afraid of change, those that follow blindly, etc. Templeman writes with a clarity on how villages work and their members.

I didn't really buy the insta-love for one couple. They meet and bam they want to spend eternity together. It was never explained why they felt like they had known each other before. I wanted an explanation for why this connection ran so deep and was instantaneous and some other connections as well, not just the boy-girl kind.

I felt like the answer to the mystery was well thought out, and that all of the pieces fit together in the end. There was such a delicious build to the finale, that I felt the finale needed to be drawn out a little bit. It was over within a chapter or two. I really enjoyed not knowing what was coming. I sort of had my suspicions, but I just wasn't certain.

I would love to see more of this world in other books. I will also be checking out more works by this author. I would definitely recommend this to those who like an edge of your seat mystery in a fantasy world.  It was incredibly exciting and entertaining.

There is no cursing (well, they say things like "My Goddess").  There is one instance where a male character reminisces about a girl's creamy thighs, but that is the only sexual reference.  Sex is alluded to not drawn out in detail. There is also a fair amount of violence with some graphic descriptions of mutilated corpses.

No comments:

Post a Comment