Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Welcome to the Dark House by Laurie Faria Stolarz


Welcome to the Dark House by Laurie Faria Stolarz 

Blurb from Goodreads
What’s your worst nightmare?

For Ivy Jensen, it’s the eyes of a killer that haunt her nights. For Parker Bradley, it’s bloodthirsty sea serpents that slither in his dreams.

And for seven essay contestants, it’s their worst nightmares that win them an exclusive, behind-the-scenes look at director Justin Blake’s latest, confidential project. Ivy doesn’t even like scary movies, but she’s ready to face her real-world fears. Parker’s sympathetic words and perfect smile help keep her spirits up. . . at least for now.

Not everyone is so charming, though. Horror-film fanatic Garth Vader wants to stir up trouble. It’s bad enough he has to stay in the middle of nowhere with this group—the girl who locks herself in her room; the know-it-all roommate; “Mister Sensitive”; and the one who’s too cheery for her own good. Someone has to make things interesting.

Except, things are already a little weird. The hostess is a serial-killer look-alike, the dream-stealing Nightmare Elf is lurking about, and the seventh member of the group is missing.

By the time Ivy and Parker realize what’s really at stake, it’s too late to wake up and run.


3 stars
I have no idea why it ended the way it did. I understand the book was being mysterious and creepy, but there has to be some sort of payoff at the end, and for me this one didn't have it. It was a great build up with interesting characters. I wanted to learn more backstory for each one. Although I'm not sure why Taylor was even included so maybe not her story so much. I would like to know what happened to her. I just couldn't get past the ending to give it more than three stars. The rest of the book was tautly written. The suspense was amazing, and the mystery well constructed. I really liked most of the book so I feel bad for basing my decision on the last few pages, but I was looking for a grand revelation and some closure that I didn't get.

No comments:

Post a Comment