Search This Blog

Friday, February 14, 2014

Plus One by Elizabeth Fama

3.5
A definite page turner, but there were several things that kept me from enjoying this book to its fullest. There was excessive language and a sex scene. I suppose I am a prude because I really don't enjoy reading books with that kind of content. I was already half way into it when I realized. It was a good enough book that I wanted to see where it would lead. I loved the alternate history story line and felt that Fama did a great job of selling the Day/Night distinctions. Our society is already as fractured as this, but it is along class lines. The poor can no sooner associate with that upper 1% than the Day and Night crowds come together. And just like this book, the governing bodies force everyone into their respective roles and expect everyone to not rock the boat. Fama really highlights and discerns what is wrong in society and makes it into Sol's struggle.

With the way this book ended, I am assuming that there will be a sequel. If not, then it was truly a brilliant way to end. The reader gets to make their own conclusion, but I feel there is more to tell about Sol and D'arcy. I hope we will get to see more Jean because he was truly a fascinating character.

The plot was intricate and well put together. Just when you think the book is headed one way, it veers off to another path. I did feel that the latter end of the middle half bogged down. Otherwise, it was all action.

If you are a fan of alternate fiction, this will definitely be one that you want to pick up.

No comments:

Post a Comment