Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Shadow Throne by Jennifer Nielsen

I heart Jaron. He is simply one of the most clever characters ever. His wit and panache are only equal to his skills of strategy and psychology. Jennifer Nielsen managed to write three books that kept my interest for every single page. There was a moment where it was a little obvious what must happen, but I was glad that it happened. I love how Jaron plays games with his enemies. His taunts are always perfectly aimed to inflict damage.

I feel that the characters Nielsen create are incredibly believable, flawed and mufti-faceted. Nothing is every straight forward in Jaron's world. This is a strong study in strong characters who display a surprising amount of vulnerability. Even the secondary characters are fleshed out having their own foibles and quirks.

I would not hesitate in the least to put this series into the hands of any children that cross my path (or teens for that matter either). I am buying the first book for my nephew for his birthday. When he showed me he was reading The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan, I just knew he would love this series too.

This series is definitely one that I will come back to and read again and again. There are few books or series that I will re-read, but this one will go on the shelf next to Harry Potter and The Hunger Games. Can't wait to see what Jennifer Nielsen has planned next

No comments:

Post a Comment