Search This Blog

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Across a Star Swept Sea by Diana Peterfreund

Books that retell classics are a bit of Kryptonite for me. I love visiting familiar plots in new and different ways. For Darkness Shows the Stars was such a complete win for me that I had high hopes for this one going in. Perhaps it was my mood but this one just didn't quite hit a home run for me. I still think this is a great book. I just didn't fall in love with the characters like I did in the first book. The theme of science being twisted for a political agenda was fabulous and very well thought out. There was a lot of medical speak that I just kinda skimmed over and perhaps that would have made a difference to how I felt about the story. I think the deeper questions this book asked are valuable and insightful. And really the message of being responsible for our own actions in a world gone awry is important. If we don't step up and do something then who will? Persis burned with a desire to change suffering, and I can't think of a better role model for teens (and adults) who might read this story. I very much want to see what the next book will hold. I am hoping for a Bronte sister tale retold.

No comments:

Post a Comment